I have considerable expertise in molecular biology, protein expression and purification, primary and continuous cell culture, and GPCRs and cell signaling. In my role as lab manger, I train new personnel, develop new protocols, and oversee all aspects of laboratory operations and regulatory compliance. As a Research Associate, I actively lead several research projects, such as expression and purification of isotopically labelled proteins for NMR. I also directly support several other ongoing projects on FAST protein structure and function, oncolytic viruses, exosomes and mechanisms of non-conventional virus release.
BScH (Biology and Chemistry) (1997-2002)
Investigation of Sex Determination in Mytilus Edulis using Differential Display Reverse Transcription
MSc (Pharmacology) (2004-2007)
Characterisation of Undifferentiated Myocardial Cells in the Embryonic Heart Post Chamber Specification
Transferable Skills & Experience
Research Associate and Lab Manager, Laboratory of Dr. Roy Duncan (2011-Pres.)
Dalhousie University (Department of Microbiology and Immunology)
Recombinant protein expression of various FAST proteins in E. coli for subsequent NMR structure determination.
Research Technician, Laboratory of Dr. Christopher Sinal (2010-Pres.)
Dalhousie University (Department of Pharmacology)
Screening of small molecule modulators of CMKLR1, a G-protein coupled receptor involved in adipocyte and bone formation and activated by the adipokine chemerin.
Research Technologist, Laboratory of Dr. Lois Murray/Novartis Aqua Health Division (2007-2011)
Dalhousie University (Department of Microbiology and Immunology) Novartis Aqua Health Division (Victoria, PEI)
Development of a yeast platform for expression of recombinant proteins for use as a vaccine against koi herpesvirus.
Research Assistant, Laboratory of Dr. Jason Clyburne (1998-2000)
Acadia University (Department of Chemistry)
Synthesis of m-terphenyl ligands.
Awards & Professional Activities
Scholarships & Awards
The Quest - The John Ruedy Award: Excellence in Health Research (2004-2006) Each year the NSHRF offers the Quest Award to the Student who demonstrates the greatest promise and potential for excellence in health research.
Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation Studentship (2004-2006)
Haley Cup and Medal (Acadia University) (2002)
Academic All Canadian (Acadia University) (1999-2002)
Acadia University Summer Honour's Research Award (2001)
Dr. Avery de Witt Bursary (Acadia University) (2001)
Gunnhildur Baldersson Memorial Scholarship (Acadia University) (2001)
Board of Governorís Entrance Scholarship (Acadia University) (1997-2000)
Dr. Lalia B. Chase Scholarship (Acadia University) (1997-2000)
William Leslie Patterson Entrance Scholarship (Acadia University) (1997-1998)
International Society of Heart Research - Poster Presentation (2006), Molecular Characterization of Cardiac Progenitor Cells in the Embryonic Ventricular Myocardium. International Society for Heart Research 2006, June 13-16, 2006, Toronto, Canada. Abstract Published: Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology (2006) 40: 887-888.
American Heart Association Scientific Sessions - Invited Presentation (2005) Transcriptional Heterogeneity of Myocardial Cells During Development. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2005, November 13-16, 2005, Dallas, Texas. Abstract Published: Circulation (2005) 112: II-54.
- Rourke JL, Muruganandan S, Dranse HJ, McMullen NM and Sinal CJ., (2014) Gpr1 is an active chemerin receptor influencing glucose homeostasis in obese mice. J. Endocrinol. 222(2):201-215 [PubMed]
- Muruganandan S, Dranse HJ, Rourke JL, McMullen NM, Sinal CJ., (2013) Chemerin neutralization blocks hematopoietic stem cell osteoclastogenesis. Stem Cells 31(10):2172-2182 [PubMed]
- McMullen NM, Zhang F, Hotchkiss A, Bretzner F, Wilson JM, Ma H, Wafa K, Brownstone RM, Pasumarthi KB., (2009) Functional characterization of cardiac progenitor cells and their derivatives in the embryonic heart post-chamber formation. Dev. Dyn. 238(11):2787-2799 [PubMed]
- McMullen NM, Zhang F, Pasumarthi KB., (2009) Assessment of embryonic myocardial cell differentiation using a dual fluorescent reporter system. J. Cell. Mol. Med. 13(9A):2834-2842 [PubMed]
- McMullen NM, Pasumarthi KB., (2007) Donor cell transplantation for myocardial disease: does it complement current pharmacological therapies? Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 85(1):1-15 [PubMed]
- McMullen NM Gaspard GJ and Pasumarthi KB, (2005) Reactivation of cardiomyocyte cell cycle: A potential approach for myocardial regeneration. Signal Transduction 5:126-141
- Clyburne, JAC and McMullen N, (2000) Unusual structures of main group organometallic compounds containing m-terphenyl ligands. Coordination Chemistry Reviews 210:73-99