Events Archive 2009
- Academic Program Fair
- Friday, January 30, 2009
- The 2009 Academic Program Fair will take place on Friday, January 30, 2009 (10am – 3pm), in the McInnes Room of the Student Union Building. The purpose of the fair is to help build student awareness about program choices and the importance of academic program planning. The Academic Program Fair is the first step for students looking to choose (or change) major/minor or program. It will be followed by Advising Week during the first week of March (for all students).
- Seminar Notice Sign-Up
- Saturday, February 28, 2009
- If you would like to receive our
weekly seminar notices, please call:
- Student Ambassadorship Initiative
- Friday, March 27, 2009
- The DBSS invites third year biochemistry students to the Tupper Mixer at 4:30 on Friday. Graduate Students and Honours students will be wearing name tags to identify themselves as potential resources for students who want to discuss their program for next year. This is a social event for an informal discussion of the biochemistry program.
Thanks go out to CR and PM for creating this new event.
- Class Registration - returning students
- Monday, March 23, 2009
- Returning student registration for the 2009/2010 Academic year will begin on March 23.
Students will be permitted to register for classes with prerequisites in progress. A pre-req validation will occur on June 30, following which time students will be removed from classes automatically should the pre-req requirement is not met.
- Advising Evening 2009/2010
- Monday, March 16, 2009
- Faculty will be available from 5-6pm in Room 9A Tupper for undergraduate academic advising. Some students have pre-booked time, but others are welcome to drop in, also.
Refreshments will be available.
- Academic Timetable Available
- Monday, March 09, 2009
- The 2009/2010 Academic timetable for undergraduate and graduate students will be available on March 9.
- Spring Convocation 2009
- Thursday, May 21, 2009
9:30-11:30 The graduation ceremony for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Undergraduates will be held with the Science, Dental Hygiene, & Pharmacy group in the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium, Dal Arts Centre. 12:30-1:30 A reception will be held in the Tupper Building lobby. All graduate students and undergraduates are asked to please plan to attend this event with your convocation guests. Biochemistry Faculty will be there. This will be a great photo opportunity for all. Refreshments will be served. 2:30-4:30 The graduation ceremony for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology undergraduates, Honours, Masters and PhDs will be held in the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium, Dal Arts Centre. More information is available.
- 2009 Graduate Student Research Day
- Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Faculty of Medicine Graduate Students
We are pleased to announce the 2009 Graduate Student Research Day. This event has been scheduled for Tuesday, May 12, 2009.
Deniz Top, recipient of the 2008 AstraZeneca Award of Excellence, will be one of our featured presenters. Our visiting guest speaker is Dr. Rod McInnes, Scientific Director of CIHR's Institute of Genetics.
- Tupper Now Wireless
- Monday, August 31, 2009
Tupper Tower now has wireless access by two methods:
- The Dal-test network requires you connect to the open network then login using the Dal-VPN client interface with your netID and password
- The Dal-WPA2 network in the Tupper Tower requires you connect to the network using your netID and password; DalVPN is not required
Access speed using either method is the same. Both methods require authenticated logon. One method may be more suitable for you, depending on equipment used. Guidance in setting up for your situation is available. We have tested the system and documented some exceptions to the instructions on line in our Biochemistry Technical Help pages.
- Vounteer Fair
- Tuesday, September 15, 2009
From: Career Services Centre
Subject: Volunteer Fair
Please join us for the Volunteer Fair on Tuesday, September 15 from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. in the McInnes Room, 2nd Floor, SUB. There will be 40 registered exhibitors.
Representatives from organizations will be on hand to talk about volunteer opportunities available to students. Students can find out what the organizational needs are, how their skills can contribute to the organization, and use the information to determine which organization is the right fit for them.
- Bill C-11 Info Session
- Monday, September 14, 2009
Environmental Health and Safety
Bill C-11 (Human Pathogens and Toxins Act) received Royal Assent of June 23, 2009. Institutions using/storing biological agents, Risk Group 2 or higher are required to declare to the Public Health Agency of Canada the nature of biological agents in use and storage as well as locations where they are used or stored. We have 90 days from that date to declare.
An information session has been scheduled for Monday, September 14 in Theatre "D" of the CRC Building. This session is scheduled for 11:30 - 12:30 though more time can be allotted if necessary for questions. We will talk about the impact that this Act will have on Dalhousie as an institution (and eventual licence holder) and individual researchers.
- Student/Faculty Mixer
- Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Year three undergraduate students interested in becoming Honours students in 2010/2011 are invited to attend a social gathering to meet potential honours supervisors.
Undergraduate students in their graduating year interested in becoming graduate students in 2010/2011 are invited to attend to meet potential graduate supervisors.
Place: Tupper Commons (Cafeteria)
Date: Tuesday, October 27th
Time: 4:00-7:00 p.m.
Wine and cheese will be served.
Research posters coordinated by Courtney Stairs.
- Tupper Generator Test
- Tuesday, October 20, 2009
- Facilities Management will be conducting multiple tests of the Tupper Generator on Tuesday October 20, 2009 beginning at 6:30 am ending at 8:30 am. This testing may be fairly noticeable as some testing requires the power to be lost before the switch over to the generator. For more information on the testing contact Perry Sabean Facilities Manager at 494-3891 or email@example.com or Greg McNutt Building Services at 494-2755 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- WHMIS Training
- Friday, November 20, 2009
Environmental Health and Safety
Please be advised that four WHMIS sessions have been organized for the upcoming months.
The dates are:
- Thursday, September 10
2:00-4:00pm (Room 5055 LSC - Biology Wing)
- Friday, September 18
3 - 5 p.m., (Room 3H1 Tupper - Physiology Department)
Monday, October 19
2 - 4 p.m., (Room 3H1 Tupper - Physiology Department)
Friday, November 20
3 - 5 p.m. (Room 3H1 Tupper - Physiology Department)
To register, please send an email to Martin Gillis.
- Thursday, September 10
- Central Stores - Solvents Update
- Thursday, November 19, 2009
Due to the construction of the new water sprinkler main the solvent room in Central Stores is unavailable until November 27. This is a change from a previous communication.
Central Stores remains open for business however chemicals normally stored in the solvent room will not be on site and available for sale until Friday November 27. Please contact Central Stores at 494-2492 for details.
- Propane Shut Down
- Thursday, November 05, 2009
- Propane services in the Tupper & Link Buildings will be shut down on
Tuesday November 3, 2009 at 8:00 am and will resume by Thursday November
5, 2009 at 5:00 pm.
The propane shut down is necessary to relocate propane service in the Tupper subbasement to accommodate new electrical services to be fed from the Tupper Building to the new Life Science Research Institute (LSRI).
For more information on this shut down contact Trevor MacNeil, PCL Constructors Canada Inc. at TLMacNeil@pcl.com or telephone 425-8650.
- Fall Exams Update
- Saturday, December 19, 2009
The Fall 2009 exam period is December 9-19. The schedule will be posted by October 5.
The official rules governing exams are listed in the calendars and posted online.
Exam schedule is now available here
- Biosafety Training Symposium
- Thursday, December 10, 2009
A biosafety training symposium has been scheduled for the Thursday, December 10th, 2009. The session will run from 8:30 am - 3:30 pm and will be held in Theatre D of the Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building.
Topics will include:
- Role of the CFIA and PHAC including Biosecurity
- Guide to writing SOP's
- Laboratory Acquired Infections
- Medical surveillance
- Containment hoods - safe work practices
- Autoclaves - load preparation, safe work practices
- Effective anti-microbial agents
Complete the registration form and return to the Safety Office no later than December 5,2009.