Events Archive 2010
- Lab water shut down scheduled
- Saturday, January 09, 2010
Facilities Management has advised that there will be a shut down of water to laboratories on Saturday January 9, 2010 from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
The shut down is necessary as a space under renovation will be added to the laboratory water system. If a portion of the laboratory water system can be isolated the shut down may not affect the entire building.
Please plan for the laboratory water shut down to affect all areas in the building. This shut down does not affect water in washrooms, water fountains or kitchens.
- Graduate Student Symposium
- Tuesday, March 30, 2010
- Hot papers in Nature and Science: 2009- 2010
9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building
- Scheduled Lab Coat Cleaning
- Friday, March 19, 2010
The next pick up for lab coat cleaning will be this Friday morning, March 19th and returned on Tuesday, March 23rd.
Department Contact for this service.
- April 2010 Exam Timetable
- Tuesday, April 27, 2010
- Link to the Biochemistry Exams or the list of all subjects.
- Recycling Old Computers
- Thursday, April 15, 2010
If you have computers that are still useful, follow the procedures outlined in the University's Disposal of Surplus Material Policy.
Old computers destined for recycling can be dropped off in the Tupper Receiving Bay on the third Thursday of every month.
The following items can be recycled:
The Windows sticker that has the serial number must be removed. All CPU's must have the hard drive cleaned. For assistance in cleaning hard drives or to request hard drive cleaning, contact Med IT at 494-1234. A small charge may apply.
Drop off times: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Drop off location: Tupper Receiving Bay
- 10th Floor Air Handling Shutdown
- Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Facilities Management has received a new Air Handling controller for the 10th floor and would like to install the new controller on Wednesday June 30th. The air handling unit to the 10th floor would be off from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. With the new controller installed, Facilities would have the ability to remotely shut down/turn on the 10th floor air handling unit. Currently this remote function is not possible.
Greg McNutt (902) 494-2755
- Air Handling Shut Down - Link Roof Project
- Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Work on the Link roof will begin today therefore the air handling intake unit schedule for today is as follows:
- Tupper SB, B, 1st, 2nd floors (ON ALL DAY)
- Tupper 3rd floor to the 9th floor (off 9am to noon) (off 3pm to 7pm)
- Tupper 10th floor (off today for maintenance)
- Tupper 11th floor to the 15th floor (ON ALL DAY)
- Link 1st floor + 2nd floor (off 9am to noon) (off 3pm to 7pm)
- CRC 1st and 2nd floor (off 9am to noon) (off 3pm to 7pm)
- Carleton Animal Care Facility (off 3pm to 7pm)
For more information on this project please contact:
Pat MacIssac, Project Manager email@example.com tele: 494-1314 cell 448-0686
Perry Sabean, Zone II Facilities Manager firstname.lastname@example.org tele: 494-3891
Greg McNutt, Tupper Building Services email@example.com tele: 494-2755
- Laboratory Water Shut Down
- Saturday, September 18, 2010
A shut down of laboratory water in the Tupper Building is scheduled for Saturday September 18, 2010 from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm. The shut down is necessary in order to replace valves supporting both laboratory water tanks and to switch use of the existing laboratory water tank over to the second laboratory water tank which has the recently installed new liner. This shut down will affect all laboratories in Tupper, Carleton Animal Care Facility and the Atlantic Research Centre in the Link. Domestic water to washrooms, lunchrooms and water fountains will remain on.
Ice machines and autoclaves will be unavailable from Friday to Monday on the affected weekend!
If you have any questions regarding this laboratory water shut down contact Stuart McCormick Project Leader (Mechanical) Facilities Management at 494-7863 or Greg McNutt Tupper Building Services at 494- 2755.
- Year 3 & 4 Student Reception
- Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Please mark your calendars for our 3rd and 4th year student reception, which will be held on Tuesday, September 14th beginning at 4:30 p.m. in the Tupper Commons.
Faculty members and grad students have been encouraged to represent their research in a poster presentation.
- Liquid Nitrogen Dispensing
- Friday, September 10, 2010
Liquid Nitrogen will be dispensed on Thursday September 9 and Friday September 10 between 10:00 am to 11:00 am instead of the usual time of 3:30 pm. Please deliver your dewar to the Tupper Receiving Bay before 10:00 am on each day.
We apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause.
- Discover the Unexpected Open House
- Friday, October 15, 2010
Dalhousie’s sixth annual open house, themed Discover the Unexpected, is being held this year on Friday, October 15. Planning is already well underway and in the weeks ahead, many of you -- staff, faculty, students -- will be invited to participate. I encourage you to get involved, to help showcase Dalhousie to potential students in a way that is compelling and welcoming.
As in previous years, we expect at least 1,000 visitors to campus. Again this year, students and parents will be asked to pre-register. Groups of prospective students will be hosted throughout the day by current Dalhousie students.
The success of Open House depends to a great extent on volunteer involvement. You might organize a presentation for visitors, prepare a display for EXPO or identify students who can serve as hosts for our guests. Your contribution -- no matter how big or small -- is important to the success of the Open House and to Dalhousie’s ongoing recruitment efforts.
Location will be the McInnis Room in the Student Union Building on Friday, October 15, 2010 from 9:30am to 1:30pm.
Please visit Dalhousie's Open House website for more information.
- Liquid Nitrogen Dispensing
- Thursday, December 30, 2010
- Liquid Nitrogen will be dispensed on Monday December 27th and Thursday December 30th. Please leave your dewars in Receiving before 2:00 pm on the above dates. Dewars can be picked up after 3:00 pm. Bill Calder from the Carleton Animal Care Facility will provide the service.
Please note: there is no Receiving Services during the holidays.
- Small Disruption - Propane Services
- Tuesday, December 21, 2010
- There will be a small disruption in Propane services to the Tupper / Dental Buildings on Tuesday December 21/2010. Superior Propane will be changing the tanks starting in the mid morning. The disruption will last for up to one hour. If there are any questions contact Perry Sabean Facilities Management at 494-3891.
- Annual Christmas Party
- Saturday, December 11, 2010
- All Biochemistry Faculty, Staff, Technicians, Postdocs, Graduate Students, Honours students and guests are welcome to attend this year's Christmas party.
The St. Mary's Boat club has been booked for Saturday, December 11, 2010 from 7pm-midnight. (1641 Fairfield Road, off Jubilee - 2.2 km from the Tupper Building.
This is a semi-formal potluck event. Sign up sheet for the dishes you intend to bring is in the lunch room on the 9th floor.
Any questions or concerns can be forwarded to Barb in the office.