News Archive 2012
- Dr. Singer, NSHRF Decade Club
- Friday, February 24, 2012
- On February 8th, 2012, Dr. Rick Singer was inducted into the NSHRF Decade Club. This recognizes his longstanding role as Chair of the Biomedical Peer Review Committee and a member of the Board of Directors of the NSHRF.
- DeNovaMed Wins Innovacorp Award
- Thursday, February 09, 2012
- DeNovaMed Inc., founded by David Byers, Chris McMaster and Donald Weaver, has won the provincial Innovacorp I3 competition for their business plan to develop novel antibiotics. Along with their previous award as regional winner from the Halifax zone, DeNovaMed will receive $200,000 in investment, cash and in-kind support.
- Pascaline Ngweniform Wins Highly Competitive Travel Award
- Wednesday, March 07, 2012
- Pascaline Ngweniform, a PostDoctoral Fellow in Dr. Jan Rainey's Lab, has won a highly competitive travel award from the Biophysical Society Committee for Professional Opportunities for Women (CPOW). This travel award helped defray her costs so she could attend the 56th Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society in San Diego, California which took place in February. Congratulations Pascaline!
- Paul Briggs: Outstanding Faculty Advisor!
- Friday, April 20, 2012
- Paul Briggs has been selected as a recipient of a 2012 Dalhousie University Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award, given jointly by the Vice-President Academic and Provost and the Vice-President Student Services.
- Dr. Paola Marignani Is The Researcher of The Month
- Sunday, April 15, 2012
- Dr. Paola Marignani has won Faculty of Medicine's "Researcher of the Month" for April.
- BHCRI Featured Researcher: Dr. Ray Syvitski
- Friday, May 04, 2012
- This month, Dr. Ray Syvitski, an Adjunct Professor with the Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, is the featured researcher on the Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute website. Read more about Dr. Syvitski:
- DCARS First Annual Charity Golf Tournament
- Wednesday, June 27, 2012
- The Dalhousie Cancer Awareness and Research Society (DCARS) will be holding their first annual charity golf tournament on Saturday, September 8, 2012.
- Jan Rainey Wins CIHR New Investigator Award
- Friday, June 15, 2012
- Jan Rainey has received a 5-year New Investigator Salary Award from the Canadian Institute of Health Research...no small feat considering a 17% success rate in the competition.
- Dr. Bearne, New Department Head
- Sunday, July 01, 2012
- I am pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Stephen L. Bearne as Head of the Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology in the Faculty of Medicine, subject to the approval of the Board of Governors. His five-year appointment will be effective July 1, 2012.
- Dr. Andrew Roger Elected to the Fellowship of the Royal Society of Canada
- Thursday, September 20, 2012
- Dr. Andrew Roger was elected to the Fellowship of the Royal Society of Canada in July 2012. This award recognizes Dr. Rogerís significant contributions to our thinking about early evolution and eukaryotic diversity.
- Aditya Pandey Wins A Suraj Manrao Travel Award
- Tuesday, October 23, 2012
- Aditya Pandey, a PhD Candidate with Dr. Jan Rainey and Dr. Paul Liu had been awarded a Suraj Manrao Travel Award to cover the costs of his attendance at the NMR Boot Camp Workshop in Toronto, Ontario held last summer.
- Marie-Laurence Tremblay Wins A Wilmad Labglass Student Travel Award
- Tuesday, October 23, 2012
- Marie-Laurence Tremblay, A PhD Candidate with Dr. Jan Rainey, has been awarded A Wilmad Labglass Student Travel Award for her presentation at the NMR MOOT Symposium held October 19-21, 2012 in Quebec City, Quebec.
- Dr. Christopher McMaster Wins Innovation Award
- Tuesday, November 20, 2012
- Dr. Christopher McMaster was awarded the 2012 Innovation Award for DeNovaMed Inc. at the 10th Annual Discovery Awards for Science and Technology held on Nov. 15, 2012.
- Dr. Kyle Phipps Wins Publication Prize
- Thursday, December 13, 2012
- Dr. Kyle Phipps, a former PhD Graduate Student in the lab of Dr. David Waisman, has won an ICR Publication Prize for his paper entitled, "Plasminogen Receptor S100A10 is Essential for the Migration of Tumor-Promoting Macrophages Into Tumor Sites".
- Aleixo Muise, In The News
- Tuesday, December 11, 2012
- Aleixo Muise, former PhD student of Dr. Hyo-Sung Ro and winner of the 1999 Patrick Prize, was referenced to in The Globe and Mail on December 11, 2012. Currently a gastroenterologist at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children, he was involved in using bone-marrow transplant to cure a child suffering from inflammatory bowel disease.